BEING OR DOING?


"To think only of the best, to work only for the best and to expect only the best."

Christian Larson,          --The Optimist Creed


As you sit binge-watching the new series you have heard was so wonderful, and you keep saying to yourself, "oh, just one more", are you being or doing? Perhaps the difference lies in whether you make it a daily habit (perhaps all day every day) or whether it is the one hour a day that you relax into something for leisure sake. What is the actual difference between being and doing?

Deep inside I think all of us want to make a difference in the world, and so we often get involved in worthwhile projects in out community. It might be organizing a fund raiser at a child's school, being involved in a road cleanup program,  or working to improve the ecology of the city or state we live in. Whatever it is, does it make your heart sing? Or, do you often find yourself saying yes to every opportunity that comes along, only to find yourself burnt out by the time the evening comes around?

For me, I like a little balance in my life. A balance of three things comes to mind, feeding my soul spiritually, allowing my calling to affect others in a positive way, and relaxing with my family and friends. Feeding my soul allows me to BE, particularly when sitting in meditation, quieting my mind or listening for inspiration. I think so much of my calling during the day involves BEING and DOING. When I sit with someone and deeply listen I am being, this allows me to be more conscious of what I am DOING. Relaxation is also important and it reinforces the connection we have with the loved ones in our lives, and it provides joy in our lives.

Always BE and DO the best you can. It makes a difference!

"Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the best you've got anyway. You see, it the final analysis, it is between you and your god; It was never between you and them anyway."                                                                                                                     -- Mother Teresa

How often do you sit and revel in the silence? Each morning when I wake up, I lie in blissful stillness for fifteen minutes or so. To me it is a wonderful part of my day, and I can bring to mind all that I am Grateful for. Try this little spiritual practice, then go out and be the kindness you wish to receive!

Love and light,

Sandy Smith



Comments

Popular posts from this blog