LATCH-KEY KID

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny compared to what lies within us." Ralph waldo Emerson

When our family moved to California, my mother went back to work again. That meant that after I came home from school, I had the house to myself for about four hours.  I was a latch-key kid before the terminology started being used for it. My homework was the first thing I would do, then I would play in the front yard for an hour or so, and finally get dinner started. Home, by myself was at first a scary thing, but it became habit fairly quickly. From 10 years old until I graduated from high school, I became my own playmate in the house.  Buttons and marbles became families that I made up stories for.  Still, I wish I my parents had been home a little more.

I imagine latch key kids are in the majority in this day and age. Are your kids latch-key kids?

"No more words. Hear only the voice within." 

Rumi

What was your life like when you were young? what things kept you occupied when no one was home?

Love and light,

Sandy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog