SPEECH AND DRAMA

"Everything in the whole world, from the hat on your head to the boots on your feet, has its beginning in mind and comes into existence in exactly the same manner. All are projected thoughts solidified." Genevieve Behrend --Your Invisible Power

Most of my life up until I was twenty-five, had something to do with being involved in speech or drama. In high school I always seemed to enjoy drama more than speech, because in drama you can become the character you are playing without seeing the audience.  In speech you needed to have eye contact with the audience, and that scared me. When I entered college, I took a speech class that filmed every speech I made, and that finally relieved my fear.

I gave a speech about conditioned response, and I brought a baby chicken into class as part of a demonstration.  It was in a paper bag behind me as I began the class. For the entire speech there was a peep, peep, peep, peep as an undercurrent to my speech.  I agonized over the horrible job I was doing. I thought of the pauses I made being so long that a Mack truck could pass through them. Toward the end of the speech, I brought out the chick and demonstrated that if you tap on the ground in front of the chicken, that it will follow you around the room, just as it for its mother after she taps in front of it. I was almost afraid to watch myself on the video. Much to my amazement, as I watched myself on the recording, I thought, WOW, I look very confident, you can hardly hear the peep. Those pauses were perfect.  In short, the nervousness I was feeling on the inside did not show in the least on the outside.  The nerves I was feeling gave me energy to complete my speech.

Isn't that true about many things we fear? We build them up by placing negative attention upon them.  A little tenseness before we speak, meet someone new, or find the attention focused on us, that is actually a good thing; it gives us the energy to sparkle.

"When we are fearful about something and keep obsessing about it, it becomes sort of like an egg that won't hatch. We sit upon it and sit upon it, but it never changes. The fear becomes a nagging worry, and ache that always persists. Why is this so? Have you ever heard the expression, "What we think about comes about?" How can fear disappear if we keep feeding it?'

                                Life's Garden of Weekly Wisdom--Sandra Martineau Smith

Are there fears that you need to let go of; people you need to forgive, or negative people in your life that you need to let go of? let your positive attitude have the energy to let your confidence shine through.

Love and Light,

Sandy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog