MIDDLE SCHOOL DANCE CLASS


"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it, you will land among the stars."   
                                                                                                       --Les Brown

When I was in seventh grade, I took a dance class for my PE credit.  Over the semester we divided up into groups and created dances, then shared them with our class. At the end of the semester all the students got to perform a show for the whole student body.  All the students except me and another girl who had a broken arm-we got to sit in the Locker room by ourselves. 

For years I thought I had no talent for dancing. Fast forward to college and my theatre degree.  I needed to take tap dancing and ballet.  I was incredibly nervous about taking the classes and held out until my junior year.  Much to my surprise, when I took tap, the teacher taught us step by step.  He taught us to say out loud what our feet were doing, “Shuffle-hop-step-fa-lap.” I suddenly realized that I could dance, no one had ever taught me the steps.  Ballet was wonderful, it was exercising to live classical piano music.

As I began teaching drama, some twenty-five years ago, I thought about how my middle school teacher could have included the two students who weren’t in the program—one of us could have worked the record player, the other could have manned the lights.  This whole experience could have hardened me to treating my students the same way I was treated, but instead, it made me conscious of how people really do need to feel included.  I allowed all my students the chance to be involved in a performance, acting, making the program, lights, sound—if the desire was there, I included them.

"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world."                                                                                                                             --Mother Teresa      

Have you ever felt excluded from something? It wasn't a very loving feeling, was it? Did you pass that same feeling on to others, or did you learn from that incident and affirm that you would always treat people in a kind and loving way. 

Love and light,

Sandy Smith


Comments

Popular posts from this blog