LET YOURSELF SHINE!

I still suffer terribly from stage fright. I get sick with fear. Not every night, but at the beginning and on occasion - not necessarily when I'm expecting it. You just have to cope with it - take it on the chin and work through it, trying to use the adrenalin to perform. Helen Mirren 
Have you ever worried about something you were about to do and you were unsure if you could do it or not? You diligently prepared for doing it, and yet you truly wondered whether you could do it or not? In my high school years I've had a few of those. I was always interested in theatre and in speaking, but I loved theatre the most. I think it was because the words were written for me, and all I had to do was memorize them. Also, the stage lights shined in my eyes and I couldn't see the audience. Public speaking was harder for me. I always felt nervous on the inside of me. I felt I paused too often, and I had to have eye-contact with the audience. It wasn't until I was in a college speech class where the teacher video-taped all of our speeches, that I realized that nobody could see my nervousness, and that the pauses actually were in just the right places. I came to realize that the fear I felt before speaking gave me the energy to super-charge my speech.

It was a great lesson for me for my future endeavors. I was a teacher for twenty-seven years, and went on to be a minister in my retirement years. I wonder how many people keep from doing something out of the fear of doing it? Unless you step out with confidence, you will never know whether you can accomplish it or not. So, be brave and let yourself shine!

Eleanor Roosevelt: “You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.” Another: “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.”

Isn't it interesting, being frightened about speaking in front of a crowd very often isn't actually noticed by an audience. That very energy may just be the very thing that allows you to shine!

Love and Light,

Rev Sandy Smith


Comments

Popular posts from this blog